Sunday, February 8, 2009

Foil, Doodles, and Smiles....

Jewelry Design has been my favorite class so far. It was such a different experience and pushed me to use my brain in a completely different way. When the class first began yesterday morning, Alan Revere gave us lots of foil and told us to start making jewelry. He kept telling us to never let our fingers stop moving. I found that my brain had no ideas for designs- but my fingers kept twisting, crunching, folding, and shaping the foil into shapes that eventually led to jewelry. It was a quick exercise but was filled with fun and laughter. After a few minutes he told us to wear our jewelry. What a HOOT!!! Regardless, there were actually quite a few wonderful creations.

Here are two of my foil creations:
1. a folded "ruffled" cuff bracelet
2. a pair of fan earrings

Another project we were given was creating a necklace inspired by something from nature. I chose a leaf- which I then traced:
I really liked the way the veins looked. So I re-traced just the veins 3 times side by side- and then added some circles at the bottom to illustrate where stones could be places:

From here, I created a necklace... Not exactly my taste- But a nice concept nonetheless:

Another exercise we were given involved quite a bit of evolving doodles. These next two renderings of earrings began as "blind" doodles of a house, the golden gate bridge, the inside of a clock, and my portrait. I know, I know- sounds weird and hard to believe.... But after following the steps he gave us- this is what I created:

I can't wait to make the earrings below! These were my favorite by far. :)

Thin sheets of aluminum were used next. We were told to make shapes that could become links to a bracelet. After coming up with several designs, I ended up with the following three bracelets:
After 16 hours of design class - I received my certificate:

Here is a picture of the World Renowned Master Jeweler, Alan Revere, and the "Can't Wait to be world renown master jeweler,"ME!:

I am so thrilled I was able to share my experience with you! And I can't wait to start designing in this new light! Until next time.....

3 comments:

Lori said...

Cool post. So neat to see the "behind the scenes" of the designs. I'm so thrilled for you and this experience!

cho said...

Dad and I just woke up to your new post and "WOWed" out loud with every metamorphoses. Intriguing exercises with phenomenal results! I agree with Lori, it is SO neat to see "behind the scenes". (BTW, what is Lori doing up at 2AM?)
Doodle on...

Jen Verde said...

Can't wait to see the pieces when they are finished. So fun to see you last night!